show / hide sidebar
Menstrual Cramps – Symptoms, Causes and Home Remedies
Menstrual cramps are also called periodic stomach and pelvic pains. Mainly half of women experience cramps. Its medical term is Dysmenorrhea, Primary Dysmenorrhea and Secondary Dysmenorrhea. Generally the pain originates from a causal defect that typically implicates the woman's reproductive system.
Who gets menstrual cramps?
- Being younger than 20 years of age
- Starting puberty at age 11 or younger
- Menorrhagia - heavy bleeding during periods
- Never given birth.
Menstrual Cramps Symptoms: In count to menstrual pains in the lower abdomen, women could experience some of these symptoms
- Lower back pain
- Leg pain, radiating down the legs
- Fatigue or malaise
- Fainting spells (in extreme cases)
Menstrual Cramps Causes: • Prostaglandin is a hormone like substance, which leads to contraction of the uterus muscles and cause abdominal pain
Generally prostaglandin is a hormone like substance, which leads to contraction of the uterus muscles and cause abdominal pain in women. The procedure is determined by the discharge of hormone-like substances called prostaglandins, as its associated with pain and inflammation in higher levels.
Numerous other medical conditions which cause menstrual cramps. These include:
- Endometriosis - the tissue that lines the uterus develops outside the uterus
- Uterine fibroids - noncancerous tumors and growths in the wall of the uterus
- Adenomyosis - the tissue that lines your uterus grows into the muscular walls of the uterus
- Pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) - a sexually transmitted infection caused by a bacterium
- Cervical stenosis - the opening of the cervix is small and limits menstrual flow.
Natural Home Remedies Using Flaxseeds:
- Eat 2 tbsp of flaxseeds every day during periods
- This reduces prostaglandin levels in the body
Natural Home Remedies Using Ginger, Honey, Lemon and Tea:
- Prepare black tea
- Add to it ½ tsp of crushed ginger
- Add 2 tsp lemon juice
- Add 1 tsp honey
- Drink this tea at regular intervals during the day
Natural Home Remedies Using Basil Leaves:
- Crush a handful of basil leaves
- Press the paste on a sieve to extract juice
- Take 1 glass hot water
- Add 2 tsp basil leave juice
- Mix well
- Drink thrice everyday
- Acupuncture treatment provides pain relief
- Include in diet:
o Sesame seeds